For anyone who wants to connect to the internet, a router is an essential device. As numerous people use routers worldwide, there has to be some identification for each router to help with configuration and troubleshooting. A number called IP address is the identification factor for routers. Using this number, one can set up the router and change the settings. The user has to log in on the webpage using the router’s IP address.
192.168.1.254 – How to login?
192.168.1.254 is a common private IP address that manufacturers assign to routers. Logging in and accessing the configuration page takes a few simple steps. The steps are listed below.
- Switch on the device and connect it to the internet.
- Then, open any web browser available on the device.
- In the address tab, type the IP address of the router. Sometimes, typing the address alone might not work. If a blank screen appears, try again with http://192.168.1.254.
- The login page opens. The user has to enter the username and password in the designated boxes.
- Generally, the default username and password will be ‘username’ and ‘password.’ However, it is better to check the router manual before entering the credentials.
- Users who have changed their default login credentials must enter the new values.
- Now, the user has access to the administrative console. The user can change all the internal settings of the router.
In case the user cannot access the administrative console using the steps listed above, it is necessary to check where the mistake is. A few steps for troubleshooting are listed below.
- Check the internet connection. If Wi-Fi is not working, try with an ethernet cable and vice-versa.
- If there is no issue with the internet, then reboot the device. One can also unplug the modem/router and try after plugging it back again.
- The login and setup will not work if there is a firewall or proxy enabled. Thus, the user should check these settings and disable firewalls/proxies, if any.
- If it is still not working, check whether all the LEDs are blinking. That part for which the LED does not light up has an issue. So the user can proceed with troubleshooting the corresponding part.
- Check whether the correct credentials are being used on the login page. The default credentials are printed on the router box and also in the manual.
All modern routers come with a manual to help users with the setup. The manuals contain directions in the form of pictures and text. Thus, it should not be too hard if the user follows the instruction manual carefully.
Resetting the credentials
Sometimes, users are unable to login due to the wrong username and password.
- For users who use default credentials, the details can be found on the box/manual. If the user enters details on the router model on the web, the possible default credential combinations show up in the results.
- If the user has changed the details and forgotten the new username and password, then they have to reset the router.
- There is a small button at the back of the router. Using a pointy object such as a pin, hold the button down for 12-15 seconds. It will set the router’s login credentials to default values.
- One can also get the details from the official site of the router.
Changing the password
Users can change the password by the following method.
- Access the default gateway using the router’s IP address.
- Then, it will prompt the user to enter the device code. The code can be found on the side of the gateway.
- Next, the user should select WPA/PSK encryption settings. Here, they can type the new password and save it.
By default, a random value is assigned as the username and password. Therefore, as soon as the user logs in to the administrative console, it is highly recommended to change the default username and password. Standard rules that apply for a strong password hold good here as well. Another detail of the router is the SSID – it is the name that the people see and others who connect to the network. Again, it is a good practice to change the default SSID for easier identification.